Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Zombie Weather

Dragged my ass out of bed and into my running clothes. The weekend is always nice but sometimes you need a nice, quiet day at work to recover from your weekend. Pretty much just stuck to my plan to run an hour and a half today. Thought about starting at Mile 4 on the trail but changed my mind and started at Mile 8. Ran down to Mile 5.5 and back, doing my best to run the only hill on the trail without blowing past my heart rate zone. Yep, didn't last long, but I tried.

Thankfully I managed to get my pooping done at home before leaving. That seemed to help move me along on my run. The first half was really sluggish and I felt like a zombie. No regular cadence, no normal stride, just a bunch of shuffling and stumbling. Glad there were no brains on the trail or I may have stopped to eat them.

After the turn around I managed to have a good mile or so before starting to run above my heart rate zone. Which then prompted more walking breaks than I wanted which made me mad which sent me back to a downward spiral of self doubt. But I tried to put it behind me, think about my great run from last week, and move on. It sort of worked.

Other notable points from the run include scaring a deer, picking up a plastic bag, and blocking what was likely an illegal access point. And that was pretty much it.

Photos:
The weather was spooky out. Surprised I didn't see any zombies.





Weather:
Temps were about 40F to 45F. Sun was out but I barely saw it do to the fog. Fog was mild for the most part but would occasionally be very thick in some spots. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Before the run I had half an iced coffee. During the run I had a bottle of plain water that I ran out of with half a mile to go. I also had an applesauce pouch around the half hour mark. Recovery was two waffles, two eggs, yogurt, and more iced coffee.

Aches and Pains:
Nothing really hurt or bothered me.

Gear:
Wore gloves, winter hat, thermal shirt, shorts, and pants. Also wore a long sleeve top.

Heart Rate:
Plan was to stay in Zone 2 and I managed to stay in Zone 1 and low Zone 2 for the first half or so. The second half started out great but then I started creeping into Zone 3. Finished the last couple of minutes with a Zone 3 or higher push.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 15:47 (AVG HR 137)
Mile 2 - 17:05 (AVG HR 142)
Mile 3 - 16:10 (AVG HR 142)
Mile 4 - 16:11 (AVG HR 142)
Mile 5 - 15:21 (AVG HR 139)
2 Minute Push - AVG HR 162
Finish - 1:25:06
MIN HR - 87
AVG HR - 140
MAX HR - 174

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Zombies are cool, especially those fast running zombies. In my day, they used to stagger at a snail's pace. ;)